Friday, February 28, 2014

Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us, Linda Christensen

Extended Comments


          First I would like to just start of by saying that I really enjoyed reading this article, I was engaged in it the entire time. Christensen made amazing points that I related to completely. It also upset me because I realized how true that all of her points were; how cartoons, childrens books, movies, and fairy tales do have a secret education. I always thought they were just innocent and fun stories that children watched and read about. After reading this article I realized how easy it is for children, like myself, to formulate their life and goals on these fairy tales. The relationship between children's cartoons and books related to race, family, relationships, sex, and social class are almost directly related to societies ideologies (SWAAMP). It is crazy how much that media has the ability to manipulate our lives. Media is everywhere and so easily accessible, it it is definitely a factor in shaping children's lives from such a young age.
          In high school I wrote a paper about how media affects women negatively through showing the ideal women in all forms of media. It can lead to eating disorders like anorexia nervosa and bulimia. It is unrealistic and they just show women with supposedly "perfect bodies" and ideal ways of acting. Society does this thought media, in choosing models, commercial, barbie dolls, and fairy tale princesses. I was able to totally relate to Unlearning the Myths the Bind Us. 

For my post this week I decided to use Maritza Mayo's Blog for Extended Comments

          I found Maritza's Blogs this week very relatable to the ideas that I formulated when reading this article. We have similar ideas towards this subjects. Like Maritza, I too enjoyed this weeks reading, but was also shocked about how much that these cartoons and fairy tales have affected and shaped my life. It was also a great eye opener to the other forms of media that can influence you in society. 
pop7516.jpg          I liked the point that Maritza made about how Christensen pointed out that young children are taught how to think and act based on these cartoons. She made a great point about how children spend countless hours watching TV without even knowing the impact that it will have on teaching them the negative influences of society. 
          Maritza also made great points about how the teacher wanted her students to be able to critique media and the inequality that it portrays. She talked about how Christensen did this by allowing her students to formulate their own ideas about the hidden myths about their fantasy lives that Disney and other programs portray. I like how Maritza pointed out the fact the teacher wanted her student to formulate their own opinions about the cartoons; the teacher did this by giving them a chart as a guideline and the opinions the students formed came from their own ideas, not the mind of the teacher.
          I also enjoyed the teacher style, and the questions that she asked her students to write about in their journals, they really open up your mind to the stereotypes that these cartoons, movies, books are making. The questions about who plays the role of servants, how are overweight people portrayed, who plays the main roles, who plays the powerful roles, people of color, how does money, possessions, and power play a role in the film. All of these questions are great ways to show the many ways that children's movies, books, and shows shaped their lives in the form of clothing, ideal relationships, importance of money, and difference between races. All of these are just the SCWAAMP of societies ideologies.
          I also liked how Maritza included the point that Christensen made about how she thought that it was important for her students not to just realize how negative that these cartoons portray life, she did not want her student to end this class with a negative outlook on cartoons, she wanted them to have an opportunity to make a change. Her students did this by making pamphlets for PTO meets about how to make better cartoon selections. Other students got articles posted in newspapers and magazines, or sent letters to places like Disney stores, or cartoon stations.
Cinderella-And-Charming-Cinderella-And-Prince-Charming-28505682-550-566          Maritza did a great job, and had some awesome links at the end of her article that really related to the reading this week and showed how cartoons affect children's lives and behaviors. Her ideas were very similar to my own and I agree with the arguments that she made throughout her post.

          The article this week was extremely eye opening and inspiring. The teacher too actions tin making sure her students were able to recognize the negatives in the cartoons, but also give her students the ability to make a change. I thought this was a wonderful this. I wish that I could take a class like this; I think it would be a great experience to get a chance to pick apart these cartoons as an 18 year old. It would be strange to see the difference. In ways it is similar to the FNED class that we are all taking, in that it informs us about societies stereotypes, and gives us an opportunity to point them out and become better informed about them. It also gives us a chance to talk about ways that society has already changed, and could change some of the negative stereotypes that exist about race, sexual identity, social class, gender roles, and much more. 

This link shows the top ten ways that Disney has corrupted children though their cartoons. 

Discussions for in class:
  • How this article was such an interesting read, I definitely related to it because I feel like they cartoons especially Disney might have changed my views as a child.
  • Paper I wrote in High School about medias negative affect on women. 
  • I really enjoyed that the teacher in this articles let her students have the opportunity to make a change.

5 comments:

  1. hey =) first of all, I wanted to tell you how honored I feel that you used my blog post as your extended comment blog post for this week -) I am so glad you liked it and also that we have similar ideas with regards to this article. It was definitely shocking for me to realize the hidden messages behind the cartoons that I have watched as a child and that indeed n a way have influenced me without me even knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, like you said this reading was really great. Loved how you used Maritza's post and added your own pieces of info too! Loved your pictures and couldn't agree more that this week's piece was truly eye opening! nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with the fact that this reading really had me engaged the whole time. I like how you address that yes, these movies have hidden messages; but Christiansen wanted them to take something from these messages. She did not want them to ban Disney movies from their lives forever; just learn how to piece apart information and truly make something of it. It is all a learning process; and I really appreciate how you took everything that Maritza said along with your own opinions and dissected the reading as a whole. Great job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I loved your post! Martiza's post was great as well and I loved how you incorporated both yours and Martiza's thoughts into one post! I thought Christensen was a great teacher. She was able to let the students think themselves without her guiding them the entire way. It was their own thoughts when it came to analyzing these different types of movies or shows. Although Christensen's piece was very eye opening and engaging, it broke my heart at times to see how negatively Disney movies were made. Regardless, I'm still going to watch them but I know that I will be analyzing them every moment! Once again, great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Sarah! You did an awesome job connecting your thoughts with Martiza's blog. All around great blog. Can't wait to read your next one. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete